once the fix is in place, the unfollow messages will be interpreted correctly, but users you forced to unfollow before the fix will still be in that weird situation where they kinda follow you but kinda not
So be careful with the "followers-only" privacy level
(thanks to Claire for the explanations and to @Courgette for the french summary here https://mastodon.opportunis.me/@Courgette/104614627915551177 that I translated)
The issue goes something like this:
when you force someone to unfollow you (in your followers list on the settings page), a message is sent to that person's instance. But for a good while now this message hasn't been interpreted correctly, so the remote instance continues to think that this user is following you. So if your (followers-only) message is sent to this remote instance (i.e. because someone else follows you there), it will also be shown to the person that you made unfollow.
So there's a bug related to "followers only" toots:
- a post that's "followers only" can be seen by people who don't follow you as of now
- it's a known bug, there's a fix coming https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/pull/14479
- I'll post an Announcement when the instance is up to date
- the problem is on the receiving side so it won't be fully fixed until other instances are up to date
- even once the fix is deployed everwhere, all the issues still won't be entirely corrected.
Ich wünsche mir ja schon länger weitere Kolleginnen im Team, vielleicht klappt es ja :)
Auf jeden Fall suchen wir bei den @ubernauten eine neue Person für unser Support Team. Wenn du also Lust hast, schick uns doch mal eine Bewerbung.
Bei Fragen im Vorfeld könnt ihr euch natürlich auch an mich wenden.
@sixohsix this kind of story (a common one i think) highlights a couple of things for me:
- web APIs were always a scam - a way to supplant open protocols with reliance on closed platforms that could yank the rug out once they'd achieved market dominance (i came around to this view pretty early, but i felt lonely in it for a long time)
- it's impossible to fix a lot of the stuff that a lot of us in the FOSS world would like to fix without fixing capitalism while we're at it
You might be an Internet Ancient if you:
• remember Netscape Navigator
• ever used any modem with a bandwidth of 28,8 or lower
• had an Early Adopter account on Livejournal
• witnessed the rise and fall of PhPBB
• witnessed the rise and fall of Napster
• used the web before Google existed
• ever used a dialup BBS site
• remember Gopher
• ever downloaded music as .mod files
• remember when about 90% of the web was made up of personal sites which were "under construction" and had pictures of people's cats on them
• remember when Yahoo was literally just a big list of websites
• know IRC commands
• have heard anyone unironically use the phrase "information superhighway"
• can recognise different bandwidth modems by what bleepy handshake sound they make
• have ever received one of those chain e-mails where you have to scroll through about a kilometre of forwarded headers only to find a "hilarious" vaguely lewd image and/or a banal list like this one
When you see headlines like this, keep in mind:
- there as been no change in the supply of homes
- there has been no change in the demand for homes
This is the free market "efficiently organizing resources".
Berlin, uni stuff, trans/inter/non-binary-activism, link to a petition
Universities in Berlin could use gender and name of a person’s choice. But so far most don’t. There’s a petition going round that asks the regarding Berlin senator to prescribe accepting people’s choices to the universities. (Disclaimer: I contributed a tiny bit in that petition.)
Especially if you are living or studying in Berlin, contemplate joining and spreading that petition:
Okay, nachdem ich von zwei Interessant:innen nix mehr gehört hab, hier nun nochmal:
Ich hab hier einen WMF Etamat (Gastro-Kaffeevollautomat) rumstehen, funktionstüchtig. Keinen Platz mehr dafür, deswegen muss das Ding raus. Will dafür kein Geld.
Wenn ich zum 31.08.2020 keine definitive Zusage für ne Abnahme (mit Abholtermin irgendwann dieses Jahr noch) hab, fliegt das Ding auf den Müll (schweren Herzens). Standort ist Wiesbaden.
Nerd, mostly crafts software, sings operatically sometimes, is often confused. Runs https://toot.kif.rocks
Mastodon ist ein soziales Netzwerk. Es basiert auf offenen Web-Protokollen und freier, quelloffener Software. Es ist dezentral (so wie E-Mail!).